Frequently Asked Questions

Download Print Version >>>

Q.    Does a prospective resident have to supply a medical certificate or report to certify her/his ability to live independently.

A.    Yes.

Q.    Does a resident have to provide documentation of her/his medical condition and medications?  If so, who will have access to it.

A.    Yes.  The information (confidential) is retained by the Self Care Administration and the Clinical Management Team for reference in any medical emergency that may arise.

Q.    What restrictions are there on a resident in the use of her/his accommodation and the Village facilities with regard to:

  • having someone else live with her/him;
  • having visitors, including overnight or short stay guests;
  • car parking
  • pets;
  • gardens;
  • other restrictions?

A.    The resident shall not use the premises otherwise as a residence for her/himself and such other person as may be approved in writing by the Board in its absolute discretion.

Residents may permit any visitor or guest to reside in their unit for a period of up to three (3) days.  However, a guest is not permitted to remain for any longer without the written approval of the Board.  Any such consent [if given] may be withdrawn by the Board at any time thereafter.

Residents may only park in designated parking areas. There is provision for the purchase of a garage if required. The storage of battery operated scooters or buggies are not permitted in any area of common use, particularly walkways to units. Residents may discuss the storage of these types of vehicles with management to find a suitable space.

Pets are not allowed.

Residents are permitted to maintain the garden area immediately surrounding their unit if they so desire but must advise Management that they wish to do so. If, at some later stage, the garden becomes too onerous a task for the resident the area will either be taken back to grass or converted to a low maintenance garden.

For other general restrictions see the 'Rules and Regulations'.
Q.    Should a resident require placement in an Aged Care Facility, are there any restrictions or conditions relating to such a move.

A.    Residents should be aware that current Commonwealth Government policy guidelines on admission to subsidised Aged Care Facilities require places to be allocated on a "needs" basis.

Access to a subsidised Aged Care Facility is subject to the resident being assessed as eligible for admission in accordance with Commonwealth legislation and cannot be guaranteed.

Q.    What type of public, private or Village transport is available to residents?

A.    A private bus company services the Village on a regular basis.  Timetables and information may be obtained from the Self Care Administration.  The Village also has two buses which are used for local village transportation and regular village outings.

Q.    If the cottage/unit is still under construction, does a resident have a say in the design, construction or furnishing of her/his unit? If the unit is already constructed, does the resident have an unrestricted right to alter existing fixtures or fittings or to add new fixtures and fittings?

A.    The retirement Village units come as a completed product.  The resident of the retirement Village is responsible for furnishing her/his unit.  Approval from management must be obtained prior to any alteration to fixtures and fittings.

Q.    If a resident leaves the Village for any reason, for how long do any of the following charges to apply:

(a)    recurrent charges;
(b)    other charges (specify)?

A.    The recurrent charges will continue to be charged until the expiry date of the required one month advance written notice of intention to vacate a unit.

In the event of the death of a resident, the vacation date will be determined following consultation between management and the late resident's relatives.

There are no other charges initiated by the organisation that would be ongoing following an official vacation by a resident.

Q.    Are there any restrictions on the resident on the sale of her/his unit?  What happens if there is a dispute over sale price.

A.    Yes.  The resident does not sell her/his unit. Upon the resident ceasing to reside in the unit, assuming there is no transfer to another unit or alternative Villiage accomadation, then the resident receives payment of the amount agreed upon when the resident first entered the Village.
Q.    Have management and residents agreed on a disputes settlement process for the Village?  Is a copy of the disputes committee charter available on request?

A.    Buckland has, in place, a disputes settlement process which is in accord with the Retirement Villages Act and the Code of Practice.  A copy of the Disputes Committee Charter is available on request.

Q.    Can a resident's contract be terminated?  Under what conditions?

A.    Yes.  Termination of a resident's contract may be effected in accord with Part 9 of the Retirement Villages Act and the Retirement Villages Code of Practice.

Q.    Can a resident move or be moved from one part of the Village to another and, if so, under what circumstances.

A.    A resident may generally only be moved at the express wish of the resident concerned.  For example, a resident may change from a large to a small unit according to their changing needs.  A transfer without the resident's consent can be effected only by order of the NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).

Q.    What arrangements exist for residents to participate in the management of the Village?  Are residents actively involved in making Village rules and setting fees and charges?

A.    There exists a Residents Forum from which residents are encouraged to put matters of concern to the Village management for consideration.  The Forum meets regularly.  The Forum Executive also meets regularly with the Self Care Administration to discuss and address issues raised by residents.  In accord with the Code of Practice, members of the Village are appointed to represent the interests of residents with management in budget formulation and dispute resolution committees.

Q.    What provisions are made for infrequent items of expenditure such as long term maintenance, major repairs to buildings and capital replacement items?  What contribution is made towards this expense by residents and by management in relation to:
(a)    common areas; and
(b)    individual units?

A.    Management has established a skinking fund for which yearly provision (from surplus trading) is made, to meet the long term capital requirements associated with existing buildings.

Q.    What protection does a resident have against a loss of rights [including accommodation] if the Village is sold to another organisation?

A.    The Buckland Convalescent Hospital is a non - profit company limited by guarantee and is a registered charity.  Its sole undertaking is the ownership and operation of the Buckland Village and associated Aged Care Facilities.  While residents do not have a registered interest in the Buckland property it is not envisaged that the Village would be sold by that company.  If the Village was ever sold then every effort would be made to effect a sale to a non-profit charitable organisation, similar to the Buckland Convalescent Hospital, which would also observe the rights of residents in respect of both their unit and their Village as a whole.
Q.    How are the on-going fees calculated.

A.    The recurrent charges for the Retirement Village are reviewed periodically and is derived through consultation between management and the residents.

Q.    Are any of the following charges decreased on departure or death of a spouse or cohabitant of a unit, or increased by any additional occupant:
(a)    recurrent charges;
(b)    other charges;

A.    Charges are levied against the unit rather than the individual and consequently a reduction or an approved increase in the number of inhabitants has no bearing on any charge made.

Q.    Can residents be made liable for any additional or extraordinary charges and, if so, for what purposes?

A.    The resident can only be rendered liable for any default in respect of damage to the unit or matters personally organised such as the non payment of electricity or phone.

Q.    What trustees (if any) are appointed by the management and what are their responsibilities?  What, if any, connection do they have with management?  Do residents contribute to the cost of the trustee?  If so, what is the contribution?

A.    Buckland Retirement Village operates under the terms of a Trust Deed and is administered by a voluntary Board of Directors.  The Directors do not receive any form of remuneration or benefit thus residents do not contribute to the costs of the trustees or directors.